Saturday 8 August 2020

The lost treasures of London's River Thames BBC News

 ... “Mudlarks” play a vital role in preserving London’s history by picking up objects washed out of the River Thames’ mud, from woolly mammoth teeth to Roman lamps to Tudor rings. ...

The River Thames is one of the greatest and largest archaeological sites in the world (Credit: Credit: Circle Creative Studio/Getty Images)

The River Thames is one of the greatest and largest archaeological sites in the world (Credit: Circle Creative Studio/Getty Images)

... One of the surprise best-selling books of 2019 was Mudlarking: Lost and Found on the River Thames by Lara Maiklem, who stumbled into mudlarking almost by accident. “One day I found myself at the top of one of the river stairs looking down onto the foreshore and I decided to go down,” she wrote. “For some reason, until then, I'd thought of the foreshore as a forbidden space, sometimes revealed, other times covered over with water. I found my first object that day, a short piece of clay pipe stem, and I was hooked.” ...

No comments:

Post a Comment