Thursday 28 January 2021

Get Outside: The Thames | The Lawrentian

Get Outside: The Thames | The Lawrentian

... Out of all the things I miss about my time living in the south of England, I probably miss the Thames (pronounced “Tem-s”) the most. According to its tourism website, the River Thames stretches for 210 miles from the Cotswolds, through Oxford and London, and out to the North Sea. In Oxford, it is sometimes referred to as the Isis or Cherwell, though I stubbornly always called it the Thames. Before last term, I had only known the Thames as something literary thanks to Joseph Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness.” Upon arriving in Oxford and quarantining in a room overlooking this magnificent river, however, I quickly became very familiar with and fond of it.  ...

No comments:

Post a Comment